Saturday, June 8, 2013

Chester didn't get the memo on trash collection

My neighbor didn't get the memo. Their trash can 
is still hoping for that Friday pick up
If folks would simply submit comments to this blog, all this trash talking would have been resolved months ago.

The Chester/Community Spirit’s big story of the week concerns the once a week trash collection debacle here in Chester. How can trash collection be so complicated?


Here’s how.
  1. City government choose to save some money by budgeting for once a week trash collection without telling folks first. Once the word got out after budget approval, folks got upset.
  2. City government listened to the people and put out bids for a second day trash collection. The bids were too expensive and the city will stick to once a week trash collection.

My Question.

Did the city attempt to issue a change order to the original contract? If not, why not? If so, what did the original contractor propose? I don't understand why a second bid was necessary for the second day. The original contractor would normally honor a change at a price less than a new bid...at least that's been my experience. And can't bids have a 'do not exceed' price on them? Why put a company through all the work of bidding if you already have a budget amount you won't exceed?

My Issues.
  1. Communication. Ever since I started the Chester Spotlight paper in 2006 and the blog in 2010, the City has never submitted the city’s trash collection schedule posting for me to share with my readers. I know they pay to display in the Daily Times and Chester Spirit (I don’t charge for that stuff). You’d think they’d try to reach out to everyone in the community using every method possible, especially if it’s free. And when folks say they didn’t know about it, you can say that it was in the Daily Times and the Chester Blog (and Facebook, and the City Web Site, and Channel 10 for those who have Comcast). Stop playing victim and put the onus back on the community. 
  2. Recycling. I’ve been asking questions about recycling since the beginning and I never got an answer for the paper or the blog from the city. Council Lady West states that, “Our residents can help us keep our streets clear by becoming educated in recycling practices,” but I never see any education efforts.
  3. Act 47. Although Act 47 has been around since 2006, most of us never heard the term except when it came to hiring police officers. Now, I’m beginning to expect to hear and read this statement regularly: “We are adhering to the city’s budget and guidelines of its Act-47 classification.” The more it’s used, the more of a excuse it becomes. 
  4. Social Media. Chester loves Facebook. With all the Chester focused Facebook pages, including those run by the city, there is no excuse for nearly everyone in Chester being clear on the trash policies. And it’s free.
  5. Submit a comment. Those of you who read the blog do each other a disservice when you don’t submit comments, suggestions, opinions, and corrections. The format is made for instant feedback. But, most of you read the posts like it’s a newspaper. That’s a waste of the main purpose of blogs which is to engage. We don’t do that well around here. 

Here are some previous blog post regarding recycling and trash collection. There are some good comments but no solutions. We’ve got to do better with the comments.



PART 3 Does Chester Recycle.  December 1, 2012



Chester goes Back to Once a Week Notice  May 24, 2013
http://ccityblogger.blogspot.com/2013/05/is-it-trash-day-in-chester.html



12 comments:

  1. I am beginning to think that you don't realize that some people are unable to leave comments on your blog.

    Most of the time, I use an iPhone to surf the internet.

    When I view your blog using my iPhone, there is no "Leave Comment" field visible.

    Additionally, a few months ago when I was trying to leave a comment, I was unable to backspace to correct my typos.

    You should have some of your friends/family who have smartphones view your blog for you and try to leave comments from time-to-time because apparently, more and more people are using mobile devices to surf the web.

    I am using a PC right now to leave this comment.

    If you have noticed a marked decreased in the number of comments you have been getting, making your blog's design/theme might be more simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that comment. If I don't get comments on the challenges of commenting, I'd never know there was a problem.

      The blog runs on Google Blogger and I've used several of their templates for the blog in these past 3 years. I'm not a programmer and without some source of revenue, I'm not going to pay for a new design and usability tests. I've tinkered with Wordpress, but the security issues have scared me away.

      However, I will find a way to make Smartphone comments easier to submit. I think there's a way to use Disqus with Blogger which is suppose to work well with phones.

      I reply to comments now with my Droid. It's not pretty, but I can get through it.

      Thanks again for hopping on the PC to comment.

      Delete
  2. as a tax payer in the city this once a week trash pick up is the wrost thing that could have happen. Thanks to councilwomen WEST the streets in the city are the wrost high weeds and grass too. But what does she care she lives in public housing NOT paying taxes and taking her trash to a dumpster everyday.. question where is the money used if we are not getting twice a week pick up

    ReplyDelete
  3. spell check 6/11/13

    ReplyDelete
  4. no you are wrong again mr tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being wrong if you are referring to me. It keeps you coming back to the blog.

      Delete
  5. I don't understand why Chester keeps changing trash collection days. Its confusing. I see my neighbors putting out trash, so I put out trash, but then it doesn't get picked up. Am I missing something or is the city run by a bunch of buffoons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call them buffoons, but Chester city government has had a long history of poorly communicating to us and that didn't start with this administration. But, I had hope that it would end with them. We'll see.

      Delete
  6. Homeowners pay a trash fee, the fee is still the same. So what were getting is a tax increase, if were not getting a lower fee. You pay a fee for a service, so if were not getting the same service, were being charged more for less, which is a tax increase. How much did it cost to pickup the trash then and how much does it cost now? If it cost less what are they doing with the extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are still a slave mr roots

    ReplyDelete