Thursday, May 27, 2010

Does Chester Recycle?

Every now and then I see signs that Chester has a trash recycling program but somehow I don't know a thing about it.

I know, I could run over to City Hall and ask around if I really wanted to find out about recycling, but that sort of supports the point I'd like to make. If Chester has a recycling program, shouldn't they be coming to us?

A couple things have sparked my interest on this subject. The first is an article in today's Daily Times announcing Middletown Township's recycling program and the second was the trash truck picking up recycling in my back alley yesterday.


Middletown Township is so serious about recycling that they lay it out on their website (click
HERE to view). I could find no reference to recycling on Chester City's website. And the trash truck only picked up 4 recycling cans on a block with 25 homes.

A friend in Philly complains that she gets fined if she doesn't sit out recycling on pick up day. It upsets her because she lives alone and rarely has more than a couple items which she'd prefer to sit out when there's enough to come close to filling the can.

Each community handles recycling in their own way. I just wish that Chester was more aggressive in enforcing our program.

It would effectively add an additional trash pick up day per week (do they come weekly?) and help clear the streets of litter.

2 comments:

  1. Why should City Hall have to enforce something that we as human beings should do. Stop looking at City Hall to do what we as a people should do. I dont care if opther communities handle it differently. On my street they pick up recycling every Wednesday.The litter is because we have a citizens that would rather through trash on the ground then have it in the car or truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying that human beings should recycle or human beings should stop littering?
    Littering is a nasty social ignorance practiced by far too many people in Chester.
    Recycling is a program run by the city that very few people participate in because they don't know how the program works. At least that's my excuse.
    It appears that you recycle and your pick up day is on Wednesday. Would you be willing to write back and tell the readers what recycle material they pick up, where do you pick up a recycling can, do you need one for plastic and another one for glass or cardboard, how much do the cans cost, and when do they make pick ups in other neighborhoods?
    I contend that it's the city's responsibility to tell us those things if they want us to participate.
    Recycling is not something that human beings do naturally. That's a program that needs to be explained and enforced to work because every community does it differently.
    Thank you for recycling. I really believe more people would be joining you if we knew how. Since it's not enforced, we don't take the time or effort to find out about the program.
    In my case, since I can throw it all out on Tuesday's and Friday's with the regular trash without penalty, I'll keep doing that. That's one less can to keep up with.
    Help me change my mind.

    ReplyDelete