The latest saga in sloppy city politics isn’t even over money, but over volunteer services for the youth.
According to the Chester/Community Spirit, allegedly a city employee telephoned sisters Shakuwra and Shakirah Randolph telling them their volunteer services would no longer be needed.
The sisters brought the issue up in a recent City Council meeting asking why their program must stop, and here’s where the sloppiness begins.
- Council-Lady Williams said it wasn’t her doing.
- Council-Lady West said those decisions are made by the mayor and Council.
- Councilman Nichols said an official decision to terminate their services could not have possibly been made.
- Even the solicitor got in on it saying the Randolphs would have to officially apply for the non-paid, volunteer position to follow protocol.
- Then, Councilman Nichols said that if that paperwork can be produced, it will be up to Council lady Williams to determine the final outcome.
So, I think we’re at the point where we’re trying to determine if the Randolph sisters officially applied to volunteer their youth program to the city a couple years ago. If not, they’ve been volunteering illegally. God forbid.
They’ve been asked to produce the paperwork to prove they applied. Or, maybe they didn’t apply and must apply now for the first time.
I imagine the city does not keep these applications on file and it’s up to the volunteer organization to produce the application paperwork. (I hope that’s not the case).
Finally, if the paperwork is found or if they do have to apply, Council Lady Williams will review it and the mayor and council will make a final decision.
Isn’t the city proceeding like the program is canceled? But didn’t they also say that no one had the right to call - no one was instructed to call - in fact, they don’t even know who called?
Somebody help me understand if you can.
Oh, by the way, the Randolph sister’s mother has been allegedly dropped by the city, too. She does catering, and in the same article she says she was told her services were no longer needed after she performed her last gig for them. Seems like it’s not a good month to be a Randolph.