Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chester-Upland school district gave away $2 million. Wouldn't you?


The Chester-Upland school board figured it wasn’t worth hounding deadbeats for their property taxes and sold the debt to a collection agency for a tad more than half of what is owed.
It’s sort of like if I loaned my brother $1000 and it seems he’ll never pay me back. There’s someone out there who will give me $600 if I allow them to go after him for the $1000 and keep it if they can get it.
The City says it collects about 83% of its delinquent taxes which leads me to believe that the hardest money to collect is from those who own our many abandoned buildings. 
I don’t know any of the legalities involved in knocking down a neglected building and taking ownership of the land it's on and using it for something productive, but if the alternative is seeing the schools forfeit money they desperately need, than redefine eminent domain in the name of education.
Click HERE for more

1 comment:

  1. Right on Steph! I absolutely agree 100%!

    ReplyDelete