Friday, September 20, 2013

What is a Truant?

The dictionary describes a truant as a student who stays away from school without leave or explanation. 

That definition implies that the student is enrolled in the school where he is truant.

Can you imagine a case where a truant officer accuses your child of being a truant but they don’t go to school in that district? 

Or, maybe it's a case of somebody not knowing what they were talking about when a concerned mother asked a question. 

Here’s an email from a Chester City Blog reader. 



Good Morning Mr. Roots, I just wanted to make a comment regarding the Chester Upland School District getting the 300 children needed to stay open.  Well, today I got a call from the Chester Upland School District Truancy Officer who told me that my daughter was truant because she missed a lot of days from school. I told him that my daughter attends Cardinal O'Hara High School and she went there from Chester Community Charter. She has never really been in Chester Upland School District Schools.  I asked him how did she get on the rolls because I have never done anything to put her there.  He said that when children reach 9th grade the school district assumes responsibility for those children.  So do you think the school district had "Ghost" children on the rolls which put them over the top?  I'm just saying.


2 comments:

  1. I know hilarious right...not if your on the other end of that call. I can laugh now, was pissed then.

    ReplyDelete