Thursday, May 12, 2011

Chris Dorsey - My Kinda Coach


Coach Christopher Dorsey is my kind of guy. He uses every tool imaginable to get his teams media exposure and coverage: phone, email, voice mail, text message, and plain ole face to face.
I’ve told Daily Times editor, Phil Heron, that I miss the days when his paper would cover youth sports like they did when I was coming up. Thanks to my dad, I’ve got dozens of Daily Times clippings from my Biddy League Basketball and Chester Youth Baseball days to prove that the Daily Times has shifted their coverage focus from youth sports to the professional sports.
To fill the gap, community papers need to reach deep into the local sports scene to put our kids back in the paper. It helps build self esteem and pride in our youth and gives them a sense of accomplishment they rarely get anywhere.
Unfortunately, the organizers of our local sports programs don’t often provide schedules, photos, or game results with community papers for us to include in our publications (or blogs). 
We don’t have the staff to attend every game but if we received the box scores from the coaches or staff, we know how to turn them into a game recap to post in our publications. We easily could do this for each game of all of Chester sports teams. 
Chris Dorsey badgered me to come see his Chester Middle School 7th grade girl’s basketball team this year. He sent me an entire schedule for all the middle school basketball games before the season began. On a couple occasions when I was free to attend, I walked two blocks out my back door and covered a couple games at the old Showalter school.
Last night, Chris invited me as a guest to the Chester Middle School sports award banquet which I was too happy to attend. I didn’t stay for the food, but just seeing the smiles on all those kids faces as they received their trophies was fulfilling enough. 

Click HERE to see a video of a girl's game.
Click HERE to see a video of a boy's game.

2 comments:

  1. That's my brother he's a person who will do what ever it take to make it happen for the kids keep up the good work chris.
    .....nard.....

    ReplyDelete