Thursday, September 13, 2012

How did water become so political?


Am I the only one amused at all the fuss over board positions at the Chester Water Authority?

I always thought corporations selected board members to improve, enhance, add credibility and provide direction to the corporation. For years, I've watched the fanfare and drama of CWA board appointees who seem to be selected with no regard to the skill set they bring to the company.

They always seem to appoint people with no business, utility, engineering, or urban planning experience. How does that help the Water Authority?

What does politics have to do with water? 

Statements in the Daily Times like this confuse me: The new law substantially weakened the political powers of the all-Democratic council, which formerly had sole discretion to appoint members to the board. It increased the powers of local Republicans, who run the county governments.

What does politics have to do with water? 

Are these really the guys setting the policy of the water authority? Do they really know anything about the business? I guess they do. There hasn't been a day I've been without water, their bills come as scheduled, and they cash my checks right away. 

The mix of city and county political drama on the CWA board just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How about you? 

Can anyone help me understand?

Click HERE for more


2 comments:

  1. Our state senator created the bill that took $190 million in assets off Chester's table and our State Rep voted for it!

    Nothing like taxation without representation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does that have to do with the Chester Water Authority? What bill did the State Rep offer?

      Delete