Monday, August 20, 2012

Charles Byrd Sr. R.I.P.


Today’s obit in the Daily Times made no mention of the C. Haywood Byrd that brought so much joy to many Chester High School basketball players for many years. 

Coach Byrd was the Junior Varsity coach for Chester High School basketball in the 70’s and early 80’s and probably had the best winning percentage ever.

It’s been 35 years since I played on one of his undefeated teams and whenever I run into a team mate, the first thing we do is imitate Coach Byrd and share a hearty laugh. He was one of the funniest men I’ve ever known. He worked us hard and made us laugh even harder. 

In his slow southern lilt, he called us all by nicknames he created, had the most ridiculous names for plays, rebounds, fast breaks, rebounds, and everything else. I can still hear him hollering at me as I dribbled down the court...”Deal Stiffy, Deal!”

Those who experienced C. Haywood Byrd are saddened by his death but I bet there are a lot of smiles and laughter occurring as a result of our memories.

4 comments:

  1. Stefan, I am sitting here at my desk first thing this morning saddened about the death of Coach Byrd but I am smiling. To me, he was a great teacher and some of the things that Coach Byrd tried to teach us in a humorous way, I still use and repeat today. He gave nicknames that last a lifetime and he gave us many, many moments of laughter. Many of us are still called by our "Coach Byrd" nicknames when we get together. One final thought: he always wanted us to beat Harrisburg (he named it the lions den)at all cost. Kevin(mike)Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie Byrd called me Hector from the day I first stepped in Douglas Jr. High. Even though he know my name, Hector was his way of keeping me focused. Can't remember him ever saying an unkind word to or about anyone. Travel well "Trooper"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can still remember that funny man he was truly one of a kind just remember ( don't shake it twice)

    ReplyDelete
  4. CARLTON SILK GORDY;UNIQUE TO SAY THE LEAST,EXCEPTIONAL MAN,GREAT MOTIVATOR,UNDERATED COACH,GOT THE MOST OUT OF HIS TEAMS,WHAT A MAN

    ReplyDelete