Friday, March 16, 2012

Ex-cons may receive financial aid

Being a member of the reentry community does not prohibit you from attending college.
Fact #1 – You can receive financial aid however there are exceptions, see below:
The Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended (HEA) suspends aid eligibility for students who have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of drugs, if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study). 
If you have a conviction(s) for these offenses, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or go the to complete the "Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet" to find out how this law applies to you.
If you have lost federal student aid eligibility due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility if you pass two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program that complies with criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education.
Civil Commitment for Sexual Offenses - A student subject to an involuntary civil commitment after completing a period of incarceration for a forcible or nonforcible sexual offense is ineligible to receive a Federal Pell grant.
Even if you are ineligible for federal aid, you should complete the FAFSA because you may be eligible for nonfederal aid from states and private institutions. If you regain eligibility during the award year, notify your financial aid administrator immediately. If you are convicted of a drug-related offense after you submit the FAFSA, you might lose eligibility for federal student aid, and you might be liable for returning any financial aid you received during a period of ineligibility.
If you need help in completing a FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), call 610.859.6023 for an appointment today, to attend college next semester.
Harcum, CEF and I-LEAD: an accessible college education for all in the community

1 comment:

  1. There is one barrier which prevents many members of the reentry community from getting financial aid; failing to register with the Selective Service System ( There is a lot of money available under the Second Chance Act, and traditional financial aid, but you have to be registered with selective service to qualify. Registration is fast and easy at the web site.