Wednesday, January 11, 2012

PA Food Stamp recipients must hide money under the mattress


Pennsylvania plans to make the amount of food stamps that people receive contingent on the assets they possess.
As of May 1, people under 60 with more than $2,000 in savings and other assets would no longer be eligible for food stamps. For people over 60, the limit would be $3,250.


Pennsylvania has one of the lowest food-stamp fraud rates in the nation: one-tenth of 1 percent. In fact, the state recently won a federal award for running its program efficiently, federal officials say.
Moreover, about 30 percent of people who are eligible for food stamps in Pennsylvania and throughout the nation don't access them, making the entitlement program under-subscribed.
If conservatives want people to be less dependent on government, and reward work and entrepreneurship, then you have to allow low-income people to have a little bit of money in the bank.
Pennsylvania would become one of only 11 states with the low-threshold $2,000 asset test - along with Alaska, Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming, USDA figures show. The $2,000 figure was set in 1980 and has never been changed, USDA figures show.
Click HERE for more

4 comments:

  1. 30 percent of people who are eligible for food stamps in Pennsylvania and throughout the nation don't access them, making the entitlement program under-subscribed.

    Wow I tried to apply for foodstamps and I was told that I couldn't get any help because I make to much money even though I pay 1,000 in childsupport, when it's said and done I a $600.00 dollar pay check evey two weeks and that have to pay for rent, electric, water gas for my car, personal hygene for me and my daughter, co payments for doctor visits. so basiclly I am assed out and I pay into the system, by the way I am a veteran!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No breaks for guys paying child support. Many of us have been there. Your only hope is that you and mom can come up with an agreement that both of you can live with. Otherwise, the court formula will rule, fair or not.

      Delete
  2. Food stamps! What a joke! My daughter is disabled,on SSDI w/a pt time job-she gets all of $14. in food stamps. No wonder PA has one of the lowest food stamp entitlement programs. At that rate it's hardly work filling out all the forms these programs want. Then having to fight with caseworkers who enter data under the wrong categories. Food stamps end up being a huge headache. I'm sure she's not the only one who wants to say 'forget it' I'll go to the food bank! Unfortunately food banks are overburdened as it is. THINK PA! THINK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was collecting $1000 a month unemployment and with that had to pay my rent, utilities, etc and only received $16 a month in food stamps. I had to end up moving in with my son and now we are moving out of not just Chester but the state of PA.

      Delete