Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Case of the Larger Street Sign

Can you see the old street signs at 9th and Lloyd? They are blocked by a pole and hidden by trees. The big bright new street sign in the backgroud looks great. 
I wrote an article in the Chester Spotlight a while back suggesting that street signs on Rt. 291 are too small to be seen.
I recommended several streets where a larger street sign was needed so that people who travel Rt. 291 for quick access to Chester are able to see a large street sign to make their turn. 
For example, if I’m directing someone to my house, I’d like to tell them to turn off of Rt. 291 onto Kerlin Street. However, since there is no street sign there, I tell them to turn at Ginn’s Bar. 
I did receive a response from a city employee but it offered excuses that street signs are stolen and that they are on order. My point was not that street signs are missing, the bigger problem is that street signs on Rt. 291 are too small to be seen until you get right up to them (except where there are traffic lights and large signs...Highland, Flower, Morton, Madison, Spruce).
If you are driving 35 mhp in the inside lane or on the opposite side of the street, you will never see the standard size street signs that do exist.
In the past few weeks, larger street signs are appearing throughout Chester. Hallelujah!
Now, if we can just get the same minds that are putting up the larger signs to do the same on Rt. 291, I can stop telling my friends to turn on the street with that bar spelled Gin with a second N. Ginns!

No comments:

Post a Comment