Tuesday, July 5, 2011

‘The Roots’ were INCREDIBLE

The City of Chester surely did its thing this Forth of July Weekend with four days of events to entertain people of all ages. Great job to all involved.
However, Philadelphia went overboard.
Thanks to the magic of my DVR, I recorded the Wawa Welcome America concert held on the Parkway last night. In past years I attended a couple and always try to at least watch some of it on TV, but this year was the best they ever had, by far.
There was a time I’d never miss The Roots live. They perform a few times a year in Atlantic City but I havn’t seen them lately. 
Anytime you put The Roots on stage, you can expect a big show. They are the best band in hiphop and R&B and they went a long way to prove that point on the 4th. 
They performed for nearly 3 hours playing their own stuff, and backing up the awesome line up which included Earth Wind & Fire, Boyz II Men, Eddie Lavert, Estelle, Michael McDonald, and Sara Bareilles.
Performing with The Roots were the magnificent horns of Jeff Bradshaw’s Brass Heaven, and DJ Jazzy Jeff who amazed during his solo bit. 
I buy my share of coffee at Wawa but if they package that show into a DVD, I’m buying it. 
If you missed it, come on over. I’m sure going to be watching it again and again. 


Ok, so I don't have any pics of The Roots, but I do have these of
Brass Heaven when they performed at Ethel Waters' Park
a couple summers ago. Kim Pinder Garner performed with
them and is shown above with band leader Jeff Bradshaw.
(Don't let Brass Heaven come back to Chester and not show up to see them again)


1 comment:

  1. Wawa knows how to throw a Party !!!! Heeey!!!!

    ReplyDelete