Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Does Gun Buy Back Work?


Phil Heron, editor of the Daily Times wrote...

I’ve never been a big believer in those gun buy-back events as a method of crime control.

I’ve always considered them something of a gimmick, an opportunity for politicians to crow about what they are doing to make their streets safer.

He goes on to write how the recent gun buyback effort in Darby has helped change his mind, but I’m still not buying into the program.
Why not have a gun buy back program everyday?
If I find a gun under junior’s bed today, wouldn’t it be nice if I could get paid today instead of having to wait until the next buy back event? I bet a whole lot more ‘real’ guns would likely be turned in as opposed to the ones collecting dust in the shed. 
Here’s a true story...

I was driving up Concord Ave from 7th street and I think a see a teen pull a gun from his waist and point it. He passes it to his buddy who aims it in the same direction. He gives the gun back to the first guy and the three of them walk off.
I called 911, answered all the questions, gave my name, and proceeded to gas up on 9th and Kerlin.
One minute later a police car comes screaming down the street. Being nosy, I drive in the direction of the siren and see that they have the three boys up against the wall on 8th and Barclay.

I felt like a hero but I didn’t get a $100 gift card to Shop Rite or Sneaker Village for getting a gun off the street. 
How many guns could we get off the street if there was some type of an award given everyday? 

5 comments:

  1. Brave is walking up to the guys and asking them to hand over the gun. Calling 911 aint brave. Start Snitchin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay you keep up the good job Snitchin

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAY TO GO. I AM SERIOUS START SNITCHIN CHESTER.

    ReplyDelete