Saturday, May 28, 2011

R.I.P. Gil Scott-Heron




Winter in America may be the most treasured album/cd in my collection. 
I was one of Gil’s biggest fans. When he was hot, he was blazin’, but when he was drugged out, he was a big disappointment. 
When he didn’t show at the Capitol Jazz Fest in Annapolis a few years back, the folks were ready to riot. That’s who we all came to see.
Gil had a Chester friend, Rick Evans, and Rick would let me know when Gil was in town to meet with him. I last saw Gil at SOBs in New York, and we had a few laughs in the Green Room after the show. He came through Kybers Pass in Old City Philly last year but I missed him.
I know a few of us will be dusting off the old vinyls and re-released cds to  pay homage to one of the first rappers and best poets and song writers of our era.
The Revolution May Still be Televised!!!!!
Click HERE for more

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the memories. Many of us were thinking about him today also.

    ReplyDelete