Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Russell Simmons Claims Bill Cosby Threatened Him

After reading the following passage in Super Rich, I wondered how Bill Cosby took it. I later learned that the two of them have had a beef for some time.
I am most persuasive when I speak to people in a sweet humble and graceful manner. That may not always be my first instinct but it’s always my best look. 
That’s an outlook I wish someone like Bill Cosby would keep in mind when he tells African American men that they need to do better at taking care of their families and contributing to society. 
While I actually agree in theory with most of what Bill is saying, there is something about his tone that makes me, and a lot of other African American men, uneasy. 
When we hear him say, stop being lazy and get up, his tone sounds hurtful and judgmental.
We know Bill is only saying those things out of love, but because we can’t hear that love, what he’s saying often gets ignored.
Contrast Bill’s tone with that of Minister Farrakhan’s. 
When the minister says, Get up black man, you’ve been down too long, no one bristles or feels like they’re being judged. Instead, when the minister says, Get up, a million black men actually get up and start crying. They feel the minister’s love and feel he sincerely wants to help. 
I’m not saying Bill does not want to help. I believe him every bit as much as the minister. But his frustration often drowns out his noble intentions. 
Click HERE to find what happened between Russ and Cos.

No comments:

Post a Comment