Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Read 'Super Rich' by Russell Simmons



In my 20’s, I was introduced to a group of classic success books: Think and Grow Rich, The Magic of Thinking Big, The Greatest Salesman in the World, How to Win Friends and Influence People, The Power of Positive Thinking, and so on. 
While they opened my eyes to a whole new outlook on life and living, I noticed that they all had two things in common. One, the source of all this great knowledge was the Christian Bible, and all the books were written by white men.
Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with that, but I’ve always been curious how success is interpreted by other faiths, and I wondered if there would ever be a classic success book written by a black author. 
After reading Super Rich, by Russell Simmons, my wish may have come true.
I had enjoyed his earlier book, Life and Def, and expected Super Rich to be an autobiographical update of his last 10 years.  Without any introduction, I dived into Super Rich and found myself into one of the best success books I’ve ever read.
As a Yogi, and practicer of Eastern faiths, Uncle Russ brings a refreshing perspective to those age old success principles I’ve read in the past.  Cleverly, it’s written just as you’d expect from the father of Hip-Hop which makes it fun and relatable. Thank goodness he hasn’t changed into a cloistered Monk.
Read Super Rich, but don’t go into it thinking that it’s about how to get rich in money, only. In actuality, it is about how to life a rich and fulfilling life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment