Thursday, January 27, 2011

My DirecTV is out - No Problem

My DirecTv antenna is packed with snow, so for the first time in 3 years I can't get a signal. Thanks to my cell phone, I can watch TV all day.

Sorry Dray Clark. I won't be able to see if you're freezing your tail off on the Schuylkill like you were yesterday until I ascend to the roof (not likely), or the sun melts the snow (preferred).

I could go in the spare bedroom and watch the old TV with the digital converter box attached, but I don't hang out in there. 

This is the year I'm getting rid of all paid TV. Thanks to my cell phone and the internet, I'm going to behave like a South Korean and watch TV like they do.

I does require a small investment in equipment, but it pays for itself in only a couple months.

Today (while I wait for the sun), I'm going to connect my Verizon Droid X smart phone to my TV via the HDMI cable. I will watch any number of TV shows from my Jetflicks subscription until I decide to shovel snow, cook, read, clean, or nap (I'm off of work today – yea!)

Jetflicks is the best $49 a year deal for access to all the seasons of all the top TV shows from the networks, to cable, to pay channels. For example, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, CSI, Grey's Anatomy, House, Modern Family, Dexter, and so on. (See Jetflicks.com for the entire line up)

Today I'll do a It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia marathon. I never heard of this show until a few weeks ago and I'm starting from season 1 (2006), and working my way to current (but not all today). I don't know how I've missed this show for so long.

In future posts, I'll share methods to watch TV via the PC, Apple or Google TV type devices, and even an old fashion roof antenna which now deliver HDTV, if you didn't know.

For about a 3 to 4 month cable bill investment in equipment, you can be watching TV virtually for free.

Stay tuned for more tips.

9 comments:

  1. Hook me up with that please!!! I could have had a brand new car with ALL the money I have paid to Comcast over the years...and if they cut me off ONE MORE TIME (because I am $35 behind on my bill)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would give up cable too if not for Cartoon Network. I do need that as a babysitter. Know how to get that for free?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never said FREE.

    But if you want free, the roof antenna pointing to Philly will pick up all the HDTV signals that the networks send out. That covers a lot of channels you never knew were available, but not any of the cable stations.

    This new way of watching TV on the cheap, and often free, requires different viewing habits. Instead of turning on the TV and letting it play, now you will be selecting the episode, video or movie you want to watch, and when it's over, you select a new one.

    It's sort of like a-la-carte TV. Pay as you go.

    HULU.com is the most popular site for free shows.
    I-Tunes probably has the largest variety of shows that you can watch for a dollar or two, with a few free ones sprinkled in.

    The best starting point I've found is www.clicker.com. It's a Internet TV Guide.

    If you have hi speed internet and a PC that you can connect to your HDTV, there are many options.

    Otherwise, it's the roof antenna or cable.

    (Don't go with the digital converter box with an inside antenna. You will not get a good signal.)

    CartoonNetwork.com has a few episodes from their shows. Maybe that's all you need, but I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We cut off Comcast a few months ago and invested in a Roku player for our Netflix subscription. It has been great and a money saver!! I am enjoying the "a la carte" to pay so much for cable and still say "there's nothing on tv" seems foolish now. You can also use your Netflix subscription with Wii.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Alicia. I have the AppleTV with a Netflix subscription. I understand Roku has more access to TV programs, but what I can't get with the AppleTV, I can get from connecting my laptop. I own an IMac so the AppleTV is great for sharing devices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew from DISH Network here, I just wanted to stop by and share some other options with you since it sounds like you’re sick of DirecTV. DISH has over 99% signal reliability nation wide, so while there can still be issues with weather they are very rare. DISH was also rated number one in overall customer satisfaction among cable and satellite TV providers in last years ACSI survey and is consistently less expensive than DirecTV when comparing similar programming packages and equipment. Also for those of you that were looking for TV service on your cell-phones, laptops and other mobile devices DISH offers the ability to watch TV everywhere with a 722 receiver and sling adapter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not exactly sick of DirecTV. In fact, I really like DirecTV. It is time to stop paying for TV when 90% of what I want to see can be seen for free or by paying a small fraction of what I am paying now. For the other 10%, I'll go visit the parents and watch their TV.

    ReplyDelete