Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Good new R&B to close out 2010

I’ve listened to a few of the new CDs over the past few weeks. I’m not a music critic, so I can only tell you what I like. I won’t mention the CDs I don’t like.
Top 3
  1. R. Kelly - Love Letter. By far, the best of the bunch. The new treatment to the old soul style that Raphael Saadiq mastered on his last CD is back with Love Letter mixed in with fresh new stuff from R.
  2. Michael Jackson - Michael. It took a lot to finally give this one a listen. I’m sure Mike has tons of music sitting around somewhere, but I don’t like when others take the liberty to put it out. However, the CD is excellent. 
  3. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Kanye follows no leaders and is far more socially conscious than I expected. One for listening, not partying.
The Rest
  • Jazmine Sullivan - Love Me Back. As good as the first CD.
  • Chrisette Michele - Let Freedom Reign. What a voice. Not as good as the first CD but better than the second. 
  • Eric Benet - Lost in Time; El DeBarge - Second Chance; Avant - The Letter; Tank - Now or Never. Take the best of these CDs and you have a great compilation that basically share the same sound.
  • Miguel - All I Want is You. Something about this CD I really liked.
  • Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans. Is he Barack Obama’s secret son? They look a lot alike and they’re both from Hawaii. Nice original approach to R&B.
  • Glee: The Music, Volume 4. My oldest daughter is so trying to get me to watch this show. Just for kicks, I gave their new CD a listen. Excellent covers of some of my favorite songs. Imma have to go back and listen to their other stuff. 


1 comment:

  1. Good picks. I would say I like most of them. R. Kelly (Love the new single and video), Michael Jackson (always-never goes out of style),Kanye West (Never!), Eric Benet - Lost in Time; El DeBarge - Second Chance, Miguel (Love!); Bruno Mars (great new discovery and he's been around for a while); Glee (havn't gotten a chance to get into it but heard it's the best show around. I have boys so they don't watch that stuff. They would probably ask, huh? what?).

    So which ones didn't you like? I know one I can't say. You don't have to be a music critic to know what you like. LOL

    ReplyDelete