Friday, July 2, 2010

BOOK REPORT: My Times In Black and White


Archmere locked me into the habit of summer reading. Here’s the first review of the season. 
I met Robin Stone at Warmdaddy’s in Philadelphia during her book signing. I knew little about the book, little about the man the book features, and nothing about her. I hurriedly had her sign my book because I couldn’t stay long but we did get a chance to share a few words. I thought is was cool that when she signed my book she labeled me as a fellow ‘word-warrior’.
I was so caught up in the story from cover to cover. Early on it was the typical Black American family saga of moving from the south seeking work in the north and making the necessary adjustments to survive. Reading how and why Gerald Boyd was raised by grandmom who provided just enough for him to become his own man could almost be considered everyday Black American folklore.
The story started to engage me as Boyd detailed his college years and how he developed his passion for writing.  As he took his first job it was obvious that he was a man that would not settle for a small role in anything he did and was stimulated by challenges. 
Those challenges came very early in his career along with opportunities to demonstrate his willingness to work hard and produce stellar results with the best of them.  He openly shares the personal side of his life of how he struggled with relationships but he never let it affect his career which appeared to be his greatest love. 
Once Boyd joins the New York Times and particularly when he takes on management responsibilities he presents a clear picture of how office politics, ego, race and gender  plays out in employee development, business growth and company reputation.  Yet, he also shows how you can work effectively with people you don’t like (or with people who don’t like you) if you are committed to the same goal. 
For those of us who have been ‘played’ by corporations, Boyd’s story could open old wounds.  I found myself getting angry and putting the book down at times as he shares how the workplace failed him by not supporting his decisions and opinions and I felt his pain when he described how colleagues turned their back on him.
Gerald Boyd is obviously one of the great Black businessmen America has ever produced. Unfortunately, outside of the newspaper industry, he is not a household name. Thankfully, he followed his instincts and produced this book for guys like me to learn from. 
I look forward to sharing it forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment