Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dehydration spoils Rayaina Johnson's day


I was really looking forward to celebrating Rayaina Johnson's repeat State Championship performance in the 100 and 200 meter sprints on this blog. Unfortunately, it seems she got sick at the most inopportune time as it's reported that she suffered from dehydration.

I'm sure that must be devastating for the senior track star as she heads to college.

I knew something was wrong when I saw her times in the trial heats from Friday. I assumed it was an injury but to learn that it may be dehydration sort of concerns me because...

Last October when Chester High had the ribbon cutting ceremony for their new track, there was a nice spread of finger foods and snacks supplied by the school district caterer. The roasted peppers and squash was some of the best I ever had. There was fruit, raw veggies, and a station making pasta dishes with white or red sauce.

I couldn't help but to notice that both the boy and girl track team were piling their plates with fried chicken drummies, cookies and washing it down with soda. In fact, they ran out of chicken as several of the kids came back for seconds and thirds.

Jokingly, I asked Rayaina if that was the diet of a state champion and I quickly realized that she didn't take it as a joke and replied, "I'm not on any diet."

I really felt bad for aggravating her but at the same time I couldn't help but to cringe at all the fruit and veggies that was never touched and had to be thrown away.

To read that Rayaina suffered from dehydration on the most important weekend of her high school career makes me wonder if a carefully structured 'runners' diet could have prevented this. I'm not sure if the coaching staff is stressing the importance of good eating and hydration to the team.

Of course, Rayaina could have just gotten sick from any number of causes. But after I saw all those fried drummies and chocolate chips being consumed at the ribbon cutting, I wonder if the track team recognizes the value of a Power Bar and a bottle of water.

I bet she'll be on a runner's diet in college.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worries you will win again when you play next time no need to worry if you suffered from dehydration at this time.

    ReplyDelete