Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Leslie Nielsen is no Joke

Nielsen or Corbett?
Businesses like to know how many people see their ads. I invested in a program that counts traffic patterns on The Chester City Blog in anticipation of presenting ads on the site, and have been very surprised at what the numbers tell.
It became evident very early that about a couple hundred people check in daily, so that stat doesn’t intrigue me. I find more interest discovering where the visitors come from, which blog posts they read, and how long they stay on the site. 
Besides the hot post-of-the-day, there is always a good number of folks who check the Most Wanted link, the Videos link, and the Chester Spotlight back issues, which isn’t surprising. The surprises are seeing daily traffic for Four Loko and Leslie Nielsen. 
Leslie Nielsen?


Back in July, I poked fun at the fact that I think Tom Corbett looks like Leslie Nielsen, while sharing Corbett’s gaff regarding lazy people who collect unemployment. I grabbed a photo of Nielsen from somewhere on the web and posted it next to Corbett.
Everyday, at least five folks searching on Nielsen come across that post.
I don’t always check the web stats, but yesterday, I was curious how many people checked out the blog over the holidays. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
I thought I was being hacked. But after studying the stats, I found that The Chester City Blog had 11,855 visitors, and 14,999 people connected to the Nielsen-Corbett post. Those stats also reveled that Nielsen’s death must have been announced on Sunday night at 7pm when the traffic started going through the roof.
Still in denial, I thought I was being hacked until I saw how spread out the request for the Nielsen-Corbett story was. 4000 US, 1700 UK, 800 Canada, 450 France, 400 Netherlands, 300 Germany, 300 Poland, 250 each from Croatia, Hungary and Greece.
It’s not by design, but obviously, The Chester City Blog ranks high on the Internet search engines.
More reason to get your submission to me. 
Thanks Leslie Nielsen. I now have a great story to tell potential advertisers. 
I think I’m going to watch the Airplane and Naked Gun movies to celebrate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment