Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The King of Culture - William Dandridge



I never missed an opportunity to chat with Mr. Dandridge. He was one of the greatest story tellers ever. 

I’d always get him on the topic of Africa, his second home, and he’d always invite me to come to Senegal with him. He promised to hook me up with a real Princess to marry and I told him I’d call the movie ‘Coming from America’.

Chester has a few people very dedicated to bringing arts and culture back to the city and Mr. Dandridge was the King. His work will continue through Mike Gray, Donald Newton, John Alston, Delores Freeman-Clybourne, Mr. Payne, Mr. West, Paul Fejko, and now Linda Braceland. (Who did I miss?)

I’d like to see the older folks team up with the younger Chester folks who are doing a great job producing a lot of music and short movies using social media tools. If we can bridge that  generation gap of cultural understanding and purpose, Chester can again become an artsy hotspot. 

To name an arts venue after William Dandridge would be most deserving. 


Click HERE for more

No comments:

Post a Comment