Sunday, January 12, 2014

I better shut up and leave Trenton alone

photo stolen from The Trentonian
The Mayor Tony Mack trial is only a week old and the craziness is seeping out day by day. But, when they subpoenaed a Trenton Times reporter for publishing his interview of a key government witness, I decided I better leave this thing alone.

So, I’m sharing my closing thoughts with you now and go back to safer good news from Chester. 

By mere coincidence, I happened to catch an interview with former Newark, NJ mayor Sharpe James on the Nick Taliaferro radio show a couple weeks ago where he was talking about his new book ‘Political Prisoner’.  As I’m finishing the book, the Tony Mack trial is starting and I couldn’t believe how identical some of the circumstances are playing out.

Then yesterday I read in the paper that the same FBI agent that took Mayor James to jail set up the Mayor Mack sting. Talk about an 'ah-ha' moment.

One thing for sure, Tony Mack is no Sharpe James. Where it appears the government never did prove their case against Mayor James, Mayor Mack looks like easy prey.

I’ve never been a big fan of government stings. I’d rather see them go after bad guys instead of trying to create them. 

The Mayor James and Mayor Mack cases should serve as a cautionary tale to black elected officials everywhere that being either too successful or too venerable can lead you to jail, especially when it benefits others. 

From now on, I’ll be glued to The Trentonian and the Trenton Times to read how this mess shakes out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment