Sunday, January 19, 2014

Attorney Michael Coard made me shout Amen

Sometimes I think I’m a lone voice in the wind, but listening to Philadelphia attorney Michael Coard on WURD 900AM this afternoon let me know I’m not alone. 

I missed the beginning, but he talked about a current case where he’s representing a black teen in Delaware County that was arrested for a fight with another teen. That’s all I know about the case. But Mr. Coard was livid that the teens were being tried as adults for a fight that involved no gun or knife. Apparently a rock was involved.

He explained that if the parents did not have bond money, the teens would be in jail with adults where they will likely seek protection from being victimized - meaning they would have to join a prison gang. The domino affects of kids serving time in adult prisons only create a worse kid.

Mr. Coard went on to share his opinion on how race plays a factor while continuing his disbelief that he’s learned that these adult charges occur frequently in Delaware County, implying that that’s not the case in Philadelphia where he does most of his work. 


Most of this blog’s readers shouted me down when I tried to make the same case. I’m rather certain Mr. Coard never heard of this blog so to hear him share many of my same sentiments let’s me know that I’m really not alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment