Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Chester library closing?

On the 1st Day of Christmas, I wrote a post entitled ‘The Literacy Mayor who nixes the Library?’ It took until today, the 11th Day of Christmas, to get a response from City Hall. However, they left the gift of response in Primos with the Daily Times instead of in Chester with the C-City Blog.

I apologize to my readers, followers, Likers, and subscribers, but the tradition of not responding to blog posts continues from one administration to the next. They take all of you for granted by leaving you in the dark when they’re questioned, challenged, or wrongly accused. Even your comments are ignored when you seek clarity. You’d think the Literacy Champion Mayor would be all over a blog that hypes his city. NOT!

Reputation management and social media and are not among city government’s social graces. Their communication strategy is to consume and converse but not to comment.  I think it could have been avoided, but this morning they’re all over the front page looking crazy. 


In my opinion (and many of yours) it makes them look bad and it turns me into the bad guy when all we’re trying to do is encourage real time response to real time issues. That was the reason the Daily Times sought to identify bloggers in the communities they serve. Folks in Media thrive on AllThingsMedia.com because of the regular interaction among comments. At least it works somewhere because it’s failing miserably here in Chester. 

Today’s article mentions that the library is estimated to receive $500,000 in Keystone Opportunity Zone revenue in addition to $300,000 in library tax revenue in 2014. Why we had to wait til the 11th day of Christmas to get that good news from the city baffles me to no end. They must either not be proud of the new KOZ taxes or they aren’t sure that number is accurate. Or, they just don’t want folks to learn these things on the blog. 

Here’s what I know about KOZ tax revenue. Number one, the big hitters - Harrah’s and PPL Park, will first have to have their properties assessed to determine how much they are required to pay in taxes. LIke most big businesses, they’ll probably appeal the first assessment forcing a delay in recovering whatever taxes are due. But, the folks in city hall seem to have the crystal ball and already know how much and when the KOZ tax dollars will be received. They’ll probably share that information with us in an upcoming Daily Times article. 

I just hope that Harrah's and PPL Park don't follow the city's lead and begin to cut back on the contributions they're making in the community once they're hit with a tax bill. I can hear them now..."Sorry for the cuts, but you're now getting it in taxes".

I think I’m going to try to get to City Council today. It should be another humdinger. 

10 comments:

  1. you are no big deal so why would city talk with you mr slave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly my point. I'm not the big deal. I could give a damn. I'm blessed to have access to almost all of the services the library offers without having to go there. It's all the non slave readers like you are the big deal. Y'all are the ones being ignored.

      I'll step aside if you'd like to run this blog. Will they talk to the readers if you run the show?

      Delete
  2. yes they would mr slave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll let the Daily Times know you're taking over immediately as soon as you send me your name and email address. Or, send it to them. They'll let me know.

      Delete
  3. i could give a dammm so why bring up the matter mr slave i heard you runnning for mayor you will get one vote that is yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can call me slave all day but please don't start dumb rumors about me running for anything unless it's a bus. I never have and never will run for any political office. I won't rule out an appointment if someone needs help, but you will run unopposed if you're counting on me to run for an elected office.

      Still waiting for your name and email address. You are taking over this blog, right? Or did you lie?

      Delete
  4. you are soft mr slave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are our most consistent commenter. We need more folks like you Mr non slave. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Tell them Stefan! It is always the ones who aren't doing anything that has the most nothing to say but jelious exchange. Stop hating and do something positive.

    LW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, Some people comment on blog post topics and other people comment on me, while most people don't comment at all. I don't reject any comments that are submitted. I'd rather let the readers do the rejecting with their eyes.

      Delete