Thursday, October 17, 2013

Sometimes the good guys slip

If you think a Chester-Upland School District teacher is a tough job, try being a substitute. I did it for nearly an entire school year (2005-06) and it was the hardest job I’ve ever had. Although I got called for assignments everyday, I was glad to have the choice to accept them or not. 

I’ve known Amos ‘Stanley’ Hyman since 2nd grade and he was subbing with me back then. He never missed a day. 

A couple weeks ago while sitting on my stoop, Stanley walked by and we talked for a good while. We talked at length about the violence around Chester and how badly his father was victimized. He lives on ‘Madi Block’ and was the first to tell me about the crazy goings-on in that neighborhood. 

I’ve never seen Stanley drive. He walks to and from school everyday so he knows the streets better than most. 

As a long time substitute, and now a full time sub who is dedicated and very good at it, I’m disappointed what the switchblade charge implies. I’m sure you’ll never uncover any hint that he even threatened to harm a kid in his nearly 10 years of subbing. That is not his character.

Who knows, maybe he had it on him for a bit a protection for his walks around town. I’m sure if subs had lockers, he probably would have left it there. That’s probably illegal too but I hate to see a great man sub get fired. 

I wish there was another way. 


Click HERE for more

4 comments:

  1. unfortunately, we all make decisions we regret. his so-called crime was not carrying the blade, but possessing it on school grounds. damn shame! how curious it is that parents can trust stan to teach their child, but the law doesn't allow for stan to have a weapon on school grounds. with that said, let's trust competent legal help will allow him to return to work. his record speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sorry to hear that Stanley got fired.I graduated with Stanley and he is a very humble man. I pray that all will work out for him. I pray that God will open another door for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've known Stan for over twenty-five years, and he is one of the best guys that i know. We first met in Hartford Connecticut on soon started working together. There was never one time that I ever witnessed him acting in an unprofessional or uncaring mannet.
    When I suffered a serious injury a few years after we met, Stan not being a driver, found his way to my home to visit and offer any assistance that he could. I had long since moved out of Hartford, so it wasn't that easy to get to my current address. That in itself speaks volumes about the nature of this man. All of us here are praying for his vindication.

    ReplyDelete