Monday, June 18, 2012

Rondae Jefferson. Sometimes you forget he’s just a kid.


“Who is this tall kid walking down the street on the cell phone carrying books under his arm at 9 in the morning?”
That’s what I said to myself as I sat chilling on my front porch on June 6 (I remember that date only because they cut off our water to start water main work).
When I recognized it was Rondae, we said hello to each other and he continued on.

With all his celebrity, I was caught off guard seeing him look like a typical kid. My mind goes back to when LeBron James was going into his senior year of high school and the big flack was that he had just received a Hummer to drive around in. 

By contrast, seeing Rondae walking down the street alone carrying his own books was an eye opener. 
I just happened to be back on the porch hours later when he was walking back, this time not on the phone. I called him over and we talked for a few minutes about his summer plans and he told me he was heading back to Colorado Springs real soon for USA Team tryouts. I told him that I was confident he’d make the team.
I had a unique team photo from last year’s state championship team that was only collecting dust on my book shelf. I offered it to him as a gift and the biggest boyish smile came across his face. (I doubt if the gift qualifies as a NCAA violation).
Rondae Jefferson may be a special talent, but he’s still just a big kid at heart. 
Click HERE for more

3 comments:

  1. Great job Rondae

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep doing what your doing Rondae .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never forget the look he gave me after this year's State Championship game as he entered the team hotel. Great smile then opens his arms to give me a big hug. He does not even know me. Great kid. Both Hollis-Jefferson boys are products of a loving community and mother that is involved and hands on. You keep on doing what you are doing R.

    ReplyDelete