Saturday, April 7, 2012

City of Chester’s new website



i rarely go to Chester City's website. Only because of a comment on this blog did I follow up on the question, “Where is the City of Chester website?”
When I visited www.chestercity.com, I was surprised with a new design. I missed that announcement, too. 
I have experience designing (not developing) large websites, and I’m especially familiar with the practice of website usability. Sometimes that’s a curse because I’m always looking at ways to improve websites.

Here's my evaluation of the site.
The Good 
The layout is simple with easy to navigate menus and crisp clear photos. There is a lot of valuable content that citizens can benefit from, and some areas of the site present a great image of Chester.
I like the Housing Development page and photos, although the descriptions could be a lot cleaner. For example, on the Pentecostal Square listing it starts by saying “This past June....” Which past June? How about “In June 2011, the city celebrated the ground breaking...”  Or was it 2010?
My favorite pages are the Extensive Park System page, the City Directory, and the abundance of information on fees, costs, and penalties across all city departments. The Search function at the top of the page works very well.
Biggest Surprise 
After years of asking, I finally learned that Recycling is “now” mandatory. 
It is now (since when) mandatory that all residents separate newspaper, aluminum and metal cans, and glass from their regular trash. Put bundled newspaper in the red recycling containers along side of the blue recycling container. Read more on how to recycle household hazardous waste.
Mandatory, but with no enforcement. Hardly anyone recycles in Chester and no one is making us do so. 
The Bad
There is no excuse for a website not to load a page in sub-seconds if you are on a high speed connection. More importantly, websites must have a scaled down Smart Phone version, especially since most minorities access the web via their phones. 
The background photo of the Barry bridge has to be removed. Not only is most of the bridge blocked, it takes forever to load.  The slideshow on the home page takes a while to load and if were my design, I’d use photos of city assets and not city officials, like the PPL Park pic. There's enough pics of city officials in other parts of the site. 
  • A lot of the photos on this site are too big. Resize them so they load a lot faster. 
  • Use black instead of gray text. It’s a lot easier to read. 
  • There’s not a single email address listed for anyone in city government that I could find.
  • Some of the language is interesting, like “Currently experiencing a major metamorphosis...”, 
  • Disaster Relief link takes you to the home page without the photo slide show.
  • The site has a lot of links that go no where, particularly on the Forms and Permits pages.
  • On the Events page, a major misspelled word jumps out at you right away.

Finally, I’m always miffed why Chester does not list Widener University and Crozer Hospital as two of their most significant assets. It helps with the image improvement messages. 
Conclusion 
Overall, the content on the site is an improvement over the old site. But like the old site, there is nothing that will draw a visitor back to the site unless they are looking for a phone number. 
In this day of social media, I’d like the city website to create a sense of community by added features that engage the residents and make us come back to the site for new information. Otherwise, this site is nothing more than an electronic brochure. Maybe that was the goal. 
I’d hope the design team is checking out other city sties and incorporating applicable design elements. If so, check out the city of Newark, NJ’s site. I like their site. 
Check out the Chester City site and tell me what you like, don’t like, learned, and any suggestions for change. 
Based on what I see, there’s still some work to do. 

18 comments:

  1. A little official-centric. The Barry Bridge Pic is ok, but it misses something...people!

    How did you not give props for using the PPL Park pic from the Nova football game? C'mon fellow wildcat, you gotta catch that!

    I see potential in the layout. However, I still feel like its 2009 when I see it...Add more gadgets!

    Dont know why people continue to use Outlook as a webmail client...It sucks, doesnt give you enough space, and costs more. Switch to GMAIL!

    Events Page--links but no Calendar...

    It seems like Mr. Pearsall is getting his Web skills up though. I thank him for it. Long way to go though...

    How about you crowd source some of this website development work through Widener or Swarthmore? A Design contest!

    The History of Chester should be filled in with OldChesterPA.com, can you tell the history of Chester in all text? smh

    C.Rogers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I sure did miss the Nova pic. I was too busy making sure it wasn't my pic as they seem to end up everywhere, even on the old site.

      I like the contest idea. Free help is right up the street.

      Delete
  2. How on the recreation page do they have all of the events that the previous administration and Brian Warren started. Mother / Son Dance, Girls Scouts Father Daughter Dance, John Mobley Football Camp, All Pro Dads Breakfast, Soap Box Derby. Just to name a few. I helped volunteer at these events and they were the brain child Mr. Warren or Councilwoman Walker Smith not Charles or Liz Williams. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brain developed those programs for the city. Why shouldn't the good programs be continued?

      Delete
  3. How can the Health Commish not be a doctor? Chester we accept anything. Is she a relative of the Councilman? Crazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason recyling isn't done in Chester is because it is not enforced....and because if the Trash Truck comes around on Wed, in my neighborhood anyway to pick up the recycling...it is just that a TRASH TRUCK not a recycling truck, and they dump all the recycling in together, not separately....and like I said IF!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never received a straight answer on how recycling works around here. You'd think the goal would be to grow recycled tonnage but it seems no one cares. If that's the case, kill the program and save some city dollars. Unless we get money just for having a program. In that case, keep the program.

      Delete
  5. oh one question....is the website going to be updated regularly now, because in the past I would mention to any city offical that would listen including the previous Mayor that the website was always full of outdated info, like really outdated....this is not a critisim, but what is the point of a city website if the info isn't relevant?ijs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least now we have a name associated with the website. I'm sure Clarence Pearsall will respond if you contact him.

      Delete
  6. First and foremost...ABOUT DAMN TIME! I'm glad they beat me to the punch because I had actually planned to build a website and give it to the city myself once I finished working on a soon to be disclosed project.

    Second, the bride has to go. The most appealing part of a bridge is obstructed by the content of the site and lets face it, the base is ugly. Chester isn't exactly know for its waterfront or bridge.

    Lastly, as everyone said, the site does still need some help. 3MB images on a page are a huge no no and the navigation/organization needs serious help.

    I think the city needs to hire someone with some technical know-how to oversee projects like this and others in the future that the city desperately needs. If they already have such a person then it may be time get serious and put an ad out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your concerns! I appreciate the feedback on the website and I encourage you to point out any errors that you find. We are all human and make mistakes, nothing is ever perfect. I have fixed the links on the forms page which broke when the site was uploaded. The emails for everyone will also be added.

    The new site does not have all updated info as of yet. Much of the content has been transferred over from the old site and many of the things you have pointed out are errors left from the previous administration. We have been and are continuing to comb through the site adding new content and updating all old information. As with everything, it does take time to get something done right and its not a one man show over here.

    To Ms.(Mrs.) Jennings, Since I have been here, I have been regularly updating the information on the site and I also do keep older event and public notice information for archive purposes.

    Many more things will be added to the website such as a photo gallery and other additions which were missing from the previous site. It was just time to get a new look up for now. I will tone down the images on the site for faster loading. The site will also be optimized for easier viewing.

    To blkbam, if you have an idea for a better background I will gladly consider it. As far is the bridge as a background goes, being "obstructed" by the content? The content is the main focus of the site.

    If anyone would like to contact me directly about the website please do at cpearsall@chestercity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See. I told you he'd respond.

      Let's join together and help get the city a world class website.

      Delete
    2. I think simple color much like this site uses such as black, blue or a continuation of the gradient you have in the header would serve best.

      As you said, the content is the main focus and the picture just distracts from that and also add an additional resource which needs to be pulled down (582 KB at the moment) by the browser rather than just rendered.

      Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick the site apart, I just want my city represented the best way it can be digital or not.

      Delete
  8. Constructive criticism is a great thing. I was happy reading the comments because it was like a conversation. Also, Mr. Pearsall did what I think all of our city officials should do, which is to take advantage of this blog to communicate with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True.

      With Mayor Linder bringing on a lot of very young people into his administration, I expect that we'll have more city officals using social media to engage with you and I.

      How refreshing is that?

      Delete
  9. Like us on Facebook!
    City of Chester News and Information

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a wonderful thing the new administration is doing, using the rsources that's on almost every desk in City Hall for something other than solitary. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete