Tuesday, October 18, 2011

ELECTION 2011: Politics vs Personality




When church folks get caught up in something, you often hear them say, ‘Blame it to my head, not to my heart’.
In the world of politics, elections are often won by the heart and not by the head.
More times than not, a candidate is selected on how good they look, or speak, or appeal to a certain demographic, as opposed to how effective they potentially are as a politician.
A commenter made the assumption that I don’t like John Linder. They couldn’t be more wrong. In fact, I have a better relationship with Linder than I do Mayor Butler. 
In recent years, I was an assistant coach for the Village Charter girls basketball team when Linder ran the school. He purchased ads in the Chester Spotlight and was the only person ever to purchase the papers by the bundle. 
Linder and I have a joint interest in a business enterprise and he is one of the few people who is aware of a painful personal loss that I experienced.
Linder and I have some amusing connections at Delaware County Community College and I supported his run for State Senate and City Council.
With Linder’s penchant for education, I expect that as Mayor, he will be a huge proponent for accountability in the Chester-Upland School District despite not having any political muscle to change a thing.
My heart is with John Linder. But my head tells me no.
When it comes to aligning this city with the best resources available for it’s continued growth, I can’t see what the Democrats have to draw on. Who will they go to? Where is their power base in the county and state? 
There seems to be a lot of people talking about change, but is this really a good time to make Chester a lonely Democratic island in a powerful Republican sea? 
I can’t lie about the fact that, personally, I like Linder more than Butler. But politically, Butler is my choice. 

2 comments:

  1. I like Linder more then Butler also. Mainly because Butler has not done a thing since he has been at command. We need someone who isn't under Pillegi's wing. You also have a valid point, do we really want to be the only democrats around? Yikes this thing is SERIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to take anything you say serious when you say Butler has not done a thing since he has been at command.

    It's one thing to say you don't like what he's done, or you'd like him to do this or that. But to say that he's done nothing is ridiculous.

    If he actually did nothing, this city wouldn't be operating.

    I'm sure that's not what you mean, but if you can give some clear examples of what you mean by nothing, we'd all appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete