Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Jill Scott's Block Party



My daughters came to visit this weekend from Atlanta and I treated them, and me, to the Jill Scott Block Party at the Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden.
The show opened with Mint Condition, one of the last R&B groups still working and about the only one that doesn’t hire a band because they are the band. They were okay, but in their defense, they aren’t built for a large concert hall. To enjoy Mint Condition, you have to see them in a club or small theater. 
Anthony Hamilton tore it up. His old school style and high energy performance was a treat.
JIll Scott was wonderful, classy, and professional. She sang most of her new album, which is great, but because the songs aren’t too familiar yet, I believe people would have enjoyed her more if she performed more of her older stuff. 
A unique twist was having a live DJ on stage performing before the show and during the breaks. DJ Jazzy Jeff is a master on those turntables. While they were setting up for Jill Scott, Jazzy Jeff and hype man Doug E. Fresh threw a party...hence, the Block Party theme. Folks danced in the aisles for over a half hour as those two reminded us of what a party used to be about when rap music was fun. I think I’m still sweating. 
It was a fun night. 



I wasn't trying to play photographer, but I had to break out the cell phone to capture the awesome stage lighting during the Jill Scott performance

No comments:

Post a Comment