Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Best Summer League Basketball Around


Jameer Nelson was in the house last night
and shares a laugh with Lynne Milton

I sure miss Sun Center / Tri State Sports. They hosted the best summer league basketball around. 
The talent in the Pro-Am included NBAers and European pros home for the summer; local college players; some extremely good high school players; and a handful of college alums who still had game. 
I miss it so much that I took the trip to King of Prussia last night to watch this years version of the summer league at the beautiful Competitive Edge Sports complex. 
Nothing much has changed. Two games are played at a time and they all featured their share of ooos and ahhhs. I watched most of the 7 and 8 o’clock games but wish I had time to stay for the 9 o’clocker once I saw Maurice Nelson show up to play.
The biggest celebrity baller of the night was probably Hakim Warrick from the Phoenix Suns, but the best team I saw was the University of Penn grads. Somehow, the teams with the most white players usually end up winning in this league -- that hasn’t seemed to change. 
I guess I've watched this summer league for 6 or 7 years and still my favorite player was LaSalle’s Tim Legler. He had one great season with the Washington Bullets and 10 so-so years in the NBA. But when he came to Tri State Sports, he would light up the nets from everywhere. No one could stop him. Now he does NBA stuff for ESPN.
You can catch the final 3 days this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday before they start the playoffs probably the following week.
http://www.delcoproambasketball.com/

1 comment: