Friday, April 1, 2011

Black-on-Black hate! Shades of the Border

Here’s an excellent short film on the relationship between Dominicans and Haitians. Talk about black-on-black hate!
Click HERE for the film Shades of the Border.
I visited DR a couple years ago. I didn't want to stay at a touristy resort and ended up flying into Santigo and took an adventurous cab ride through the mountains to our place in Cabarete. I hired a tour guide for the week who showed us the ins and outs of Cabarete, Sosua, and Puerto Plata. I asked about the Haitian relationship with Dominicans and it's just as described in this movie. I was told how Haitians can cross the border for food on Fridays, work as near-slaves in coffee fields, and a select few are allowed to sell their art. Art was our biggest gain. I couldn't believe the prices of their fabulous art. For only a few hundred dollars, I came home with over a dozen magnificent pieces of Haitian art. If I were to go back to DR, I'd probably stay in Sosua this time, buy jewelry in Cabarete, buy tons of art, and enjoy the awesome people, food, and beaches of that entire north shore.


Sosua



Downtown Cabarete at rush hour

After saving my life on the Falls, a Brugal and Coke to celebrate


No comments:

Post a Comment