Monday, December 20, 2010

Brian McKnight at the Keswick Theater

There have been several Brian McKnight songs I’ve enjoyed, but I wouldn’t call myself a fan. After seeing his show this summer at Dell East, I became a fan. He put on a exciting performance with great singing, an excellent band, creative stage props, and the surprising showcase of his two very talented sons.


So, when I was told he was coming back to the Keswick, I agreed to go along, expecting to see a similar show he did this summer.

As soon as I stepped in the Keswick aisle and looked at the stage, I knew that the show was going to be quite different. The only thing on stage was a grand piano (and later a classical guitar).

He put on the equivalent of a one man play, as he presented the history of Brian McKnight’s music career in song and words. At times it felt like he was sitting in the living room soloing to me and some friends, and other times the feel was like I was luxuriating in a swank hotel lounge.

Clearly, there’s no better showcase of talent than a voice and a piano without all the other elements that accompany a live show.

Normally, most of us hate when performers talk throughout the show, and we don’t like when they make the audience sing. For the money we spend for tickets, we want to see that performer work every moment they’re on stage. Last night, it wasn’t a problem at all.

Surprisingly, before his encore, which consisted of four songs that the audience requested, he stood before the crowd and took questions from the audience regarding his opinions on song writing, performing, acting, the recording industry, and his background. Even that portion of the show was good.

After the show, with a little help, I came up with only a few artist who could have pulled off a show in the format McKnight brought last night: Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys and Babyface. I’ll throw in Jamie Foxx when his body of work grows.

So many singers are not musicians, and as officer Joe Kane once told me, many of them don’t even know what key they’re singing in.

It’s not often that we see the full display of talent of an amazing singer, musician, composer, and song writer, in the raw.

There were probably some folks who came out last night looking for the Dell East Brian McKnight. I’m so glad he left that McKnight home to share his amazing talents with us.

When are you putting out the DVD McKnight? That would be the perfect stocking stuffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment